Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

February 19, 2009

MADAM ZEEBA..!!


Well, this may sound really silly. There has been a tradition in our family right from my mom, her sisters, her cousins to me and my cousins to become a fortune teller during fancy-dress competitions at-least once on our lives. A fortune teller named MADAM ZEEBA…! We would dress up in a long black cloak (actually our mom’s dupatta/stole) with sun, moon and stars pasted on to it and a scarf around our head. Our crystal ball would be a small plastic ball covered in silver. I remember when I was madam Zeeba, 12 years ago, boy was I terrified. I came up on stage and set up my props (table, chair and crystal ball) and said in a scared, shaky voice our traditional dialogue (which my mother painfully made me learn by-heart):

“I am Madam Zeeba,
The greatest fortune teller in the world.
The past, the present, the future,
I see it all, in my crystal ball.
Oh! What do I see here?
I see a great India.
There shall be no war, no hatred.
Peace shall prevail and man shall love man.
Thus sees and says, the GREAT ZEEBA..!!”


I will never forget these lines ever. These words will always remain etched in my mind and forever close to my heart. I guess it’s one of those things which make all us cousins a bit more close. Maybe my daughter will become a fortune teller one day. And guess what, tomorrow, my youngest cousin; the last of my generation will ascend on to the stage as MADAM ZEEBA..! All the best my little angel, make us all proud!

13 Mississippi:

Crowscious said...

Yeah it is rather funny but cute... esp. the no war in India part. Indians are the most quarrelsome people on earth i think. :) LOL, put a pic up of u in the costume if you have any. Should be worth a laugh :P

deluded said...

haha.

this has got to be one of the coolest tradition in a family.

wait.

does making fried egg on top of the road count?

no?

damn.

Pavitra Ramkumar said...

@ crow
yup, i will try to do that. i can't find a pic as of now.

@deluded
i love this tradition of mine. Hope it continues for a long time.

Nick James said...

Very cool tradition and very good reason for having it. Peace everywhere!

Indrayani aka, Indi! said...

Hahaha.. :D
watte tradition!! :D

ApocalypsE said...

Madam Zeeba... the saga continues..:-)

Pavitra Ramkumar said...

@Nick James
ya, its fun. Honestly speaking, i didn't know what i was saying and why i was saying it, at that age.

@Indi
haha....it cracks me up too..

@Apocalypse
yes it does....and i hope it lasts forever...

Djarabia said...

Well if not the India being in peace atleast the man in love with man is true... hehehe

Swayam said...

that is one cool tradition seriously....as to India becoming a great India it is a far cry definetl...

Chriz said...

comical one :)

Arjun said...

haha... It was funny as well as cute.. :)

Great to know something like this.. really amazing n nice..

N hey thanks for dropping by... :)

Cheers..!!
Arjun

Thrice said...

Aw..I find it so cute..traditions like that are lovely :D Do you remember the name of the witch/fortune teller from the film Teen Witch? wasn't it similar?
BTW, thank you so much for following, as I always tell new followers, "hope you don't regret" :P Cheers.

moi said...

hey wonderful tradition here gal!!